Monday, June 1, 2020

Transfers


The hierarchy of mobility skills begins in this order: bed mobility, mat transfer, wheelchair transfer, bed transfer, functional ambulation for ADL, toilet and tub transfer, car transfer, functional ambulation for community mobility, and community mobility and driving. Each skill reminds me of a puzzle piece in which they each fit in conjunction with one another. It is best to start with the more simpler tasks and progress up the ladder. I personally worked in an outpatient PT clinic, and we had clients come in with standard, rolling, and rollator walkers as well as canes and knee scooters. We started off with the more basic mat transfer. As the client increased their mobility over time, then we would get them to the point of walking with a gait belt and cane around the clinic. That is why I feel like I would not change anything about this approach. It comes together in a sequence. Although, the length and duration of this process depends on the client.
Over the course I have learned so much about the unique body mechanics. Thus, I have really enjoyed the past few weeks of learning about posture, gait, transfers, and AD, because we were able to go more in-depth about mobility and OT. Overall I am excited to use this information in the future!

No comments:

Post a Comment