Tuesday, February 11, 2020

My OT Area of Interest


I have always been one who wanted to dip my toes in to several areas of occupational therapy. I like the thought of outpatient clinics, geriatrics, and have put some thought into specialized areas as well, but one area that has stood out to me the most, has been pediatrics. I have volunteered for a pediatric organization called The Rein-Bow Riding Academy for the past 3 years and have loved every minute of it. It is where those with disabilities and special needs come to have therapy on horses. It has been so rewarding,
just as a volunteer. That is why I feel so led to it, because it has held such a big place in my heart. I have had the opportunity to watch certain clients grow over those past 3 years and it is amazing to see where they started out at and compare it to how they are doing now.

Before I applied to the occupational therapy program, I always had an interest in the pediatric care facilities. When I got in at the UTHSC, two major places were on my mind! St. Jude and Lebonheur Children's Hospital. I feel so drawn to that area of practice and I am interested in learning more of what occupational therapists do there. I cant wait to dive more into the educational side of it and see how fieldwork goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment